Tuesday 18 March 2008

Italy - I Love You

I have just started writing a new novel. It takes place in Italy, in the month of August and so I am thinking back to all the Italian holidays I have ever been on and reading blogs written by expats living in Italy. (Most seem to be filled with endless mouthwatering recipes). I first went to Rome when I was 22 or 23 with a big love. He was English but had an apartment in Rome. He knew it well, and took me to a tiny cocktail bar on the Via Condotti, and to have hot chocolate at one famous Piazza I have momentarily forgotten the name of. After a few weeks I started Italian lessons on the Campo de Fiori and made friends with a Japanese boy. Meanwhile the big Love and I went everywhere on a vespa, and I truly thought I had landed in heaven. I am mad for Italy, and all things Italian.

One summer my husband, Luke and I rented a house near Lucca, which had it's own wild fig tree and a view of mountainous hills. We listened to the cicadas all day long, made mozzarella and tomato lunches with our friends who were staying and walked to the small town of Camiore for breakfast. Heaven.

We went again another year. I try to go to Italy every year, but this summer it will be two years since I was last there. Anyway, it's wonderful to remember details of all things Italian.

Things I love about Italy: Language, Food, Culture, The Italians, Landscapes.

2 comments:

www.retiredandcrazy.com said...

I think that you are amazing and would like you to come on over to my site to collect an award.

Laura Jane Williams said...

Thing I love about Italy... the Italians!

girlwiththemask x